Make All Adjoining Forest Areas Apart of Sinharaja – Then Build the Road to Lankagama
According to a study by the Forest Conservation Department in 2010, low country rain forests cover only 1.9% of the total land area of Sri Lanka. This is 123,302 hectares. Of the total land area of Sri Lanka; montane rain forests covers and sub montane rainforests cover only 1.1%. That is a land area of 73,271 hectares. Therefore only 3% of the total land area of Sri Lanka is covered in rainforests. That is a land area of 196,573 hectares. Out of these, only 65% have been declared protected areas, the rest are under the control of the Land Reclamation Commission (LRC.).
To read full story visit: http://www.monlar.lk/sinharajaroadenglish.html?fbclid=IwAR0OMWhBp2Lu4BE7JztFj-ui19g0cpBB6yZKuNR8hzLhYWIzApcEmXHlvGY