Sadly, Sri Lanka has the gruesome statistic of recording the most amount of deaths inflicted by the Human Elephant Conflict (HEC) in the World. Thus far, we have lost 74 elephants in 2023 with numbers expected to increase as the year goes on. This project which is to be initiated by the Wildlife & Nature Protection Society (WNPS) aims to raise awareness amongst rural farming communities by engaging with them directly on a number of issues which have continued to plague farming communities.
Objectives of this project include;
- Creating awareness of rural communities of what not do when living in close proximity to elephants
- Link existing communities to representatives of the Center for Conservation and Research (CCR)
- Create awareness amongst youth in rural communities
- Facilitate school’s urging students to travel together when commuting to school and other activities
- Spread awareness on issues stemming from feeding elephants in the wild
- Present mini-series to relevant government stakeholders to educate them on the solutions available to the HEC
If you wish to view the short video clips developed as part of this project, follow this link. Stay tuned for updates on this project and learn more by following our social media feeds on Instagram.